North Carolina has laws designed to protect victims and potential victims of domestic violence. The law applies to people who have been in certain kinds of relationships, including marriage, dating, and family relationships.

Simply obtaining a 50B order, also called a domestic violence protection order or a restraining order, can be done without an attorney. But sometimes victims of domestic violence can benefit from the legal guidance a domestic violence lawyer can provide. Likewise, if a 50B order has been taken out against you, this could have important legal consequences — even if you are found not guilty of the original domestic violence charge.

The attorneys at the nonprofit Triad Legal Group believe that every person, no matter their financial status, has a right to legal counsel. Given the serious issues involved with domestic violence, it often makes sense to involve a lawyer.

You can talk to a Triad Legal Group attorney: call or TAP 336-560-5400.

Domestic Violence

Threats, Intimidation, Harassment, Stalking

Relationship difficulties, financial stress, and other issues can cause serious strife and conflict between people.

Violence is never an acceptable or productive solution to these conflicts, but unfortunately it does happen.

Contact a Triad Legal Group attorney: call or TAP 336-560-5400

What you should know about

Domestic Violence Protection Orders

Here are some things you may not know about domestic violence protection orders:

  • 50Bs can be taken out based on a variety of relationship types — marriages, dating, purely sexual relationships, parent-child, and grandparent-grandchild relationships.
  • If you violate a domestic violence protection order, even if it was issued based on false testimony, you can still be charged with a criminal offense.
  • If you commit a crime while under a restraining order, such as breaking into a house where you used to live to retrieve belongings, you could end up facing additional charges and more serious punishments, such as longer prison terms.
  • Lying under oath about domestic violence to obtain a 50B is itself a crime.

Other kinds of abuse

Sexual, Verbal, Financial, Social & Child Abuse

If you have been a victim of domestic violence, we urge you to contact local law enforcement and consider contacting a domestic violence lawyer to obtain legal protection from future incidents.

If you are facing criminal charges related to a 50B/domestic violence protection order, a lawyer can help you understand your rights and advocate for you in court.